Thursday, September 08, 2005

good book - EXPENSIVE book

I am so bummed to see that one of the best children's books that I've run into costs about $65. Darn. Here's the review that I wrote about it for Amazon. Right up until where I saw that, if I posted this, Amazon owned it, at which point I yanked it and figured I'd put it here instead! Although I am anything but a fantasy genre fan, I am a huge fan of John Crowley's wonderful fantasy novel Little, Big. What Little, Big does for adult fantasy, Trouble for Trumpets does for the pre-literate set. Period. We are lucky enough to have stumbled over this book in a library sale for (don't shoot me) $1.50, because I certainly wouldn't have paid $60 for it, but I will say this: my child is the son of an inventor and a very creative writer, and his brain is ... complex. He loves Rube Goldberg inventions and fantasy and Harry Potter and flower fairies and rockets and ... all sorts of stuff. This is like the wonderful Richard Scarrey books put into five dimensions, instead of one. It's like Huckle on a mind-bending drug. Got it? Someone wrote that this book was one of the defining books of their childhood and I can believe it. I will also say this: If you are taking your child on a trip around the world and they can only have three books with them, make one of them be this book. Do not buy this book if you are just a consumption-heavy yuppie trying to golden-plate your first-born's "baby library." Buy it as an elixir of creativity, for regular dosings and immersions. You know those science-fiction genre books where the author creates an entire world, a universe, a language, a new species of housepets? The types of books written by people who have a window into ... if not insanity, then at least a form of creative possession, the kind that sparks others? Well, this is a book like that, shown in pictures. It's way cool.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home